From all the recipes I personally searched, I think the one from Matt Bites is very close to the ones I use to have at home.
Ingredients ( Makes about 30)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Store-bought dulce de leche, cajeta, or jam (not recommended much better with Dulce de leche)
- Confectioners' sugar, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, and continue mixing until well combined, about 1 minute. Working in batches, add flour mixture; mix until well combined. Add milk, orange juice, and vanilla; continue mixing until a dough forms, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Using a tablespoon or a small ice cream scoop, drop dough onto prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Transfer to oven and bake, rotating baking sheets halfway through baking, until golden, 10 to 14 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack until completely cool.
- When cookies have cooled completely, spread the bottoms of half of the cookies with dulche de leche, cajeta, or jam; sandwich together with remaining cookies. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Just before serving, lightly sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, if desired.
You can find Dulce de Leche in any Latin store, WalMart carries the one from Nestle (near the Condensed milk) or you can try to do it at home.
Making dulce de leche is extremely easy and inexpensive. Just boil a can of condensed milk for 3 hours. Make sure the can is always covered with water otherwise it can explode. Once finished, just open the can and enjoy. Also you can add 1tspn of vanilla to finished product.
Enjoy...the are the most Fabulous cookies!!